No Charges in The Killing of Breonna Taylor

Breonna Taylor, Kenneth Walker

The grand jury in Louisville, Kentucky, did not file charges against the officers in the case of the shooting death of Breonna Taylor. One of the three officers, Detective Brett Hankison, was charged with three counts of first-degree wanton endangerment for shooting into the neighboring apartments. In anticipation of the expected protesting that could follow the grand jury’s decision, Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer placed the city under a state of emergency.

Last week the family of Breonna Taylor reached a $12 million wrongful death settlement with the city of Louisville. The attorney for the Taylor family Ben Crump made a statement after the grand jury announcement via Twitter, “While not fully what we wanted, this brings us closer to #JusticeForBreonnaTaylor.”

The killing of Breonna Taylor took place on March 13, 2020. Ms Taylor and her boyfriend Kenneth Walker were home asleep in bed, when at 12:43 AM, Louisville Kentucky plain-clothes police officers, armed with a no-knock warrant, looking for a drug suspect, entered into Ms. Taylor’s home using a battering ram. The officers were at the wrong house, the drug suspect had been taken into custody earlier that day.

Mr. Walker, Breonna’s boyfriend, states that they heard banging at their door, he and Ms. Taylor asked several times, “Who is it” Mr. Walker says that there was no response. When the officers busted into the apartment, Mr. Walker shot at the officers once hitting one of the officers in the femoral artery. Officers returned fire, and Ms. Taylor was shot six times and killed.

Louisville Attorney General Public of Integrity Unit claimed that the officers did knock and identified themselves before entering Ms. Taylor’s apartment. Elected Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron stated in the press conference, “The facts have been examined and a grand jury comprised of our peers has made a decision, Justice is not always easy, it does not fit the fold of public opinion.”

At the time of her killing, Ms. Taylor worked as an emergency room technician at a Louisville area hospital.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on email